alert City of Parramatta will soon no longer support this version of IE. Consider upgrading your browser now. Link

Heritage conservation

Heritage development approvals

Lodge a Heritage Minor Works Application online

Lodging an application online is easy

  1. Visit Council's Online Services
  2. Select "Lodge an Application"
  3. Select "Development" then "Heritage Minor Works"
  4. Find your property, and
  5. Fill in the form

Or download the printable version of the form, fill the required fields and complete your application on the Online Services portal.


A heritage listing does not prevent a property or building from being modernised, altered or developed, but changes must recognise the site’s heritage significance.

New work

Any new work should be undertaken in an appropriate or sympathetic way which should keep original features where possible.

New work should not necessarily try to look old or copy the architectural detail of the original building but complement the building's form, scale, materials and finishes.

St Patrick's Cathedral

This can be seen in the large addition to the side of St Patrick's Cathedral in Parramatta that complements the original church building.

We are generally cautious about approving changes that destroy original parts of a heritage listed building, particularly where changes would be visible from the street.
It is highly unlikely that we will permit demolition of heritage items or buildings within conservation areas.

Council approval

(Back to top)

You will need to lodge a development application to approve changes and work to heritage items and properties in heritage conservation areas.

Our development application form and checklist provides details on what needs to be included in the application.

Our Heritage Advisor can clarify if any extra information such as a heritage impact statement is required.

Minor work

Certain types of minor work may be approved without a development application such as:

  • replacing roof guttering
  • a new fence
  • repainting a house in a new colour scheme

You will need to complete a heritage minor works application form.

Minor maintenance work and most interior works that do not affect the structure of the building will generally not require consent. However, we strongly recommended you contact our Heritage Advisor before commencing any changes to clarify if you require approval.

Development near heritage items

(Back to top)

Properties near heritage items often form part of the setting for the heritage item.

Development near heritage items may be required to minimise any impact on the heritage property in terms of:

  • architectural style
  • scale
  • setbacks
  • external materials
  • finishes
  • colours

Upcoming events