alert City of Parramatta will soon no longer support this version of IE. Consider upgrading your browser now. Link

Apply for a road opening permit

(Back to top)
Urgent applications must be submitted before 12pm Monday - Friday (during business days) prior to the date of the road/footpath occupancy.

You need to submit an application and pay the fee to receive a permit. You also need to provide:

  • Public Liability Insurance Certificate
  • Worker's Compensation Insurance Certificate
  • Worksite details
  • Traffic control plan
  • Plans or sketch of proposed works

RMS road occupancy licence

You might need a road occupancy licence from the RMS if you are working within 100 meters of traffic signals or on RMS state and regional roads.

View the full list of RMS state and regional roads

Temporary road or footpath occupancy

(Back to top)

If you are carrying out work that does not involve excavation of any surface within the road reserve, you need to apply for a temporary road occupancy permit online.

Depending on the nature and location of the work, various conditions will apply.

Excavation permits

(Back to top)

You need a road opening and temporary occupancy permit for all works involving the excavation of:

  • roads
  • footpaths
  • kerb and gutter
  • nature strip


The cost for the permit is calculated according to the area and type of surface to be excavated and is the scheduled fee for Council to permanently restore all surfaces once your works are complete.

Unless previously approved in writing, you are not permitted to carry out permanent restoration using your own contractors.

The fees for temporary road or footpath occupancy and road opening permits are set out in the 2021-22 City of Parramatta Schedule of Fees and Charges.

Get in touch

(Back to top)

If you have any questions you can get in touch with our Traffic Services Team on (02) 9806 5050.

Upcoming events